When the Atlassian Confluence wiki is installed on a Windows server, it frequently becomes unavailable. Sometimes it is possible to restart the Atlassian Confluence Windows service, but most of the time the Stop phase times out with:
Windows could not stop the Atlassian Confluence service on Local Computer.
Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
To make Atlassian Confluence work again
- Open Task Manager,
- End the tomcat…exe process,
- Start the Atlassian Confluence Windows service.
In Windows Server 2008 and 2008 R2 the Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager looks different from the IIS 6 version.
To set file level attributes, like authentication, SSL requirement, follow the steps below:
- Start Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager
- On the left side select the application you want to administer.
- At the bottom of the middle pane select the Content View tab to view the files of the application.
- In the middle pane right click the file you want to administer and select Switch to Features View in the drop down menu.
- In the middle pane double click the Authentication, SSL Settings, or any other icon you want to make changes to.