When you deploy and application in Microsoft Visual Studio with ClickOnce, you need to sign the installer with a key.
To sign the project Visual Studio needs to use the signtool. If the ClickOnce feature is not enabled in Visual studio, it displays the following error message:
An error occurred while signing: SignTool.exe was not found at path C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\bin\signtool.exe
To install the ClickOnce feature and the signtool
On Windows 7
- In Windows Control panel select Programs and Features,
- Right click Visual Studio 2015 and select Modify,
- In the feature list select ClickOnce tools.
On Windows 10
- In Windows Control Panel select System,
- On the left side select Apps & features,
- In the app list click Microsoft Visual Studio 2015,
- Click the Modify button,
- In the Visual Studio setup click the Modify button again,
- In the feature list select ClickOnce Publishing Tools.