When the Atlassian Confluence wiki is installed on a Windows server, it frequently becomes unavailable. Sometimes it is possible to restart the Atlassian Confluence Windows service, but most of the time the Stop phase times out with:
Windows could not stop the Atlassian Confluence service on Local Computer.
Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
To make Atlassian Confluence work again
- Open Task Manager,
- End the tomcat…exe process,
- Start the Atlassian Confluence Windows service.
When you send email from an application, most SMTP servers require authentication. Your application needs to supply a valid username and password to be able to connect to the server. This prevents strangers to use your SMTP server and send millions of spam emails.
When your application does not supply the correct credentials to connect to the SMTP server, instead of a descriptive message you can get this:
Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: <SEND_TO@SEND_TO.com> No such user here
The error message complains about the addressee, the email address you are sending the email to, instead of the username and password you try to use to access your SMTP server.
Make sure you are using the correct username and password to connect to the SMTP server.
When your application tries to send an email using a Gmail account you may get the error message:
Unable to read data from the transport connection: net_io_connectionclosed.
One of the causes can be, when “Less secure apps” are not allowed to use the Gmail account.
To enable “Less secure apps” to use the Gmail account
- Log into Gmail and navigate to
- Select the Turn on radio button
Microsoft published free Windows virtual machines for every major Internet Explorer version for multiple virtualization platforms.
Since Microsoft purchased Skype there is an annoying, unwanted advertisement on the main page. If you are tired of seeing the same boring picture every time you turn on Skype
- In the Tools menu select Change language,
- At the bottom of the list click Edit Skype Language File,
- In the Language File Editor click Save as and save the copy of your current language file with any name, like NoPicture.
Skype will try, but for security reasons cannot save the file in the Skype folder, and it will offer an alternate location: c:\Users\[YOUR USER NAME]. This is perfect for us.
- Open the Tools -> Change language menu option again,
- Click the Load language file at the bottom of the list,
- Select the file you just saved,
- In the File menu select Sign Out to exit Skype,
- Start Skype again (it will ask your password).
The picture is gone.
On Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 the Dyn Updater cannot update the IP address if you set the IPv-4 Configuration to Automatic during installation. The log contains the following error messages:
daemon – WARNING – Unable to get IP addresses for …dyndns.org, will retry later.
frontend – WARNING – API request failed. Status: 500 Method: ipaddress.get
frontend – WARNING – API error: Error connecting to checkip.dyndns.org. Please verify your internet connection and try again.
To make the Automatic IPv-4 Configuration setting work
- Open a web browser and get the current IP address by navigating to http://checkip.dyndns.com/
- Open the Dyn Updater,
In Windows Server 2008 and 2008 R2 the Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager looks different from the IIS 6 version.
To set file level attributes, like authentication, SSL requirement, follow the steps below:
- Start Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager
- On the left side select the application you want to administer.
- At the bottom of the middle pane select the Content View tab to view the files of the application.
- In the middle pane right click the file you want to administer and select Switch to Features View in the drop down menu.
- In the middle pane double click the Authentication, SSL Settings, or any other icon you want to make changes to.
The following links display comprehensive comparisons of web browsers on the support of the HTML 5 features.