As I use Cities: Skylines I want to share tips and tricks I learn while I build my maps and cities.
The game scale
|Game element||Real life size|
|1 cell||8 meters|
|1 tile||240 cells = 1920 meters|
|9 tiles||17,280 meters|
|Zoning grid depth||4 cells = 32 meters|
|Curb||30 cm high, as roads are sunken into the terrain.|
|Basic road||2 cells = 16 meters wide|
Asphalt 10 meters wide
Vehicle lane 3 meters wide
Parking lane 2 meters wide
|Four-lane road||4 cells = 32 meters wide|
Asphalt width including the median 22.4 meters
Asphalt width on each side of the median 8 meters
Median width 6.4 meters
Vehicle lane width 3 meters
Parking lane width 2 meters
|Highway ramp||Width 12 meters|
Asphalt width 8 meters
Lane width 4 meters
|3 lane highway||Width 22 meters|
Asphalt width 18 meters
Lane width 4 meters
|Train tracks||Gauge 1.6046 meters|
Distance between rail centers 1.724meters
Rail width 11.94 cm
Distance between the centers of 2 parallel tracks 4 meters
|Tram tracks||Same as train, but the distance between the centers of two parallel tracks is 3 meters|
|Monorail||Track width 66 cm|
Distance between the centers of two parallel tracks is 3 meters.
The Cities: Skylines game use multiple units to display elevations and distances.
|Landscaping tool||meters||Lowest elevation (0 meters)|
|Roads tool||Road segment length 1 unit = 8 meters||Road segment start|
|Fine Road Tool mod||meter|
|Precision engineering mod||meter||Lowest elevation (0 meters)|
- The Landscaping tool’s Level Terrain feature shows the elevation in units, relative to elevation 0. The original ground level is at 60 unit elevation.
- The Roads tool displays the road segment lengths in units. 1 unit is 8 meters.
- On the Options page of Klyte’s Fine Road Tool mod set the units to metric or imperial units.
- The Precision Engineering mod shows the road segment length and elevation in meters relative to the original ground level of 60 units. Press the Shift key to see this extra information.
|Cruise ships||32-33 m|
|Railroad, roads||12 m|
Water sources in games
In the map editor, you can add water sources to your maps. In game mode, the original game does not have the means to add more water sources. Subscribe to BoodyPinguin’s Extra Landscaping Tools mod to add water sources in your games.
In the map editor you can set the sea level by typing a number, the mod in the city only uses the mouse to drag the sea level up and down. To set the level more precisely
- Use the Landscaping Tool’s Level Terrain feature to create a small flat top island in the sea.
- Select the Water tool, and select the Move Sea Level option.
- Move the mouse up and down to set the water level to the top of the island.
Containing waste water pollution
When you discharge waste water to lakes and the sea, it can pollute the drinking water supply. Place a water source with the water level lower than the lake or sea level. It creates a drain to generate a current and remove the pollution.
If the traffic is too dense, turn on vehicle despanning. When the vehicles arrive to their destination they disappear.
- Subscribe and activate the TM:PE (Traffic Manager: President Edition ) mod
- On the top of the screen click the TM:PE Main menu button (looks like a traffic light)
- In the upper right corner of the window click the Toggle automatic vehicle despawning button to turn on despawning.