The CentOS images are not available on the AWS Quick Start tab.
CentOS publishes official images on the AWS Marketplace, but you need to subscribe to the image to be able to launch it with an automation software, like Terraform.
Find the latest available CentOS image in the AWS Marketplace
- Execute this command to display the list of available images
aws --region us-east-1 ec2 describe-images --owners aws-marketplace --filters Name=product-code,Values=aw0evgkw8e5c1q413zgy5pjce
- Select the latest AMI from the list. The images are NOT ordered by date!
- If you try to launch the image before you subscribe to it, the error message is displayed
Error launching source instance: OptInRequired: In order to use this AWS Marketplace product you need to accept terms and subscribe. To do so please visit http://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp?sku=…
amazon-ebs: status code: 401, request id: 
- Follow the link in the error message to http://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp?sku=…
- Click the Continue to Subscribe button
- Once the new image has been created, share it with all the accounts you use.