If you want to remove the preinstalled Windows 8 from a new Toshiba Satellite P50-AST3GX2 laptop you need a Windows 7 DVD. You can buy the Windows 7 DVD at Amazon.
The first step is to turn off UEFI in the BIOS and enable the legacy boot. This will allow the computer to boot from the Windows 7 DVD.
To enter the BIOS
- Insert the Windows 7 DVD into the DVD drive
- Completely turn off the laptop to access the Toshiba BIOS Setup. When you select “Shut down” on the Windows 8 screen the computer only goes to hibernation mode. To completely shut down Windows 8 follow the steps in How to completely shut down Windows 8.
- Press the power button and continuously tap the F12 button to open the boot menu
- In the boot menu select Enter Setup and press Enter
Turn off the UEFI boot mode in the BIOS
- In the BIOS setup select the Security tab on the top of the screen
- Press Enter on the Secure Boot option and select Disabled
- Select the Advanced tab on the top of the screen
- Press Enter on the System Configuration
- Press Enter on Boot Mode and select CSM Boot
Save the BIOS settings
- Press the F10 key on the keyboard
- On the Exit Saving Changes window press Yes to save the changes
- The computer restarts
Install Windows 7
- The computer will boot from the Windows 7 DVD
- Select Install, Advanced installation
- Delete all partitions on the hard drive
- Create one partition (Windows will create another 100MB system partition for itself)
- Select the large partition as the destination of Windows 7
Windows 7 drivers
- The Toshiba website contains all necessary Windows 7 drivers for this model. You can download them from
Enjoy the last usable Windows version.