There are tools and utilities software developers use to write, test and deploy code. These are some of them to make our life easier.
Visual Studio Code
- Download it from https://atom.io/
- Double click the downloaded ZIP file to extract the application,
- Drag the Atom application into Applications
Install iTerm2, a smart terminal emulator to issue Bash commands and log into Linux servers.
JQ is a JSON command line tool to read, write and convert data to an from JSON.
brew install jq
JSON in the browser
To automatically pretty print JSON responses in Chrome
- Install the JSON Formatter Chrome extension by: callumlocke.co.uk from https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/json-formatter/bcjindcccaagfpapjjmafapmmgkkhgoa?hl=en
Remote Desktop Client
Download the Microsoft Remote Desktop app from the App Store
- Open the App Store
- Search for “microsoft remote desktop”
- Click the Microsoft Remote Desktop icon
- Click the blue Get button
- Click the green Install App button
Nice to have utilities
Rectangle is a window management app based on Spectacle, written in Swift.
Installation instructions are at https://github.com/rxhanson/Rectangle
- Install Rectangle with
brew install --cask rectangle
- Configure iTerm for better resizing behavior with
defaults write com.googlecode.iterm2 DisableWindowSizeSnap -integer 1
Smart diff visualizer that highlights the parts of the line that changed
- Install it
brew install diff-so-fancy
- Configure Git to use it as the default diff tool
git config --global core.pager "diff-so-fancy | less --tabs=4 -RFX"
Install the database management tools
Working with Windows servers from the Mac
If you want to work with Windows servers, you may need to run Windows applications on
Memory usage monitor
- Download Dr. Cleaner Elite from the App Store to be able to monitor memory, CPU and network usage from the Menu Bar.